Friday, June 19, 2009

Prototype testing


Professor Jim had us test the insulation of our prototype boxes using 2 double A batteries and i resistor as a heat source. We recorded the temp inside the box using our hobo. I wasn't satisfied with the heat produced by the battery and resistor alone so I did a little experimenting of my own.

-Above is a picture of my setup. I have a 9 volt battery being shorted to produce heat(wire going from positive to negative), a 1.5 volt battery connected to an inductor(producing heat as well), and i have the same 2 lithium AA batteries connected to a resistor.

The previous set up of 2 double A batteries and resistor only produced 76 degrees Fahrenheit of heat. The set up in the picture above produced an excess of 95 degrees Fahrenheit. With this informatin we are able to get an idea of what it would take to keep our box nice and toasty :)

No comments:

Post a Comment